41 Straight Months Of High Unemployment, Yet Baldwin Contends That Obama’s Policies Have Helped Wisconsin’s Economy
Over three years ago, liberal Madison Democrat Tammy Baldwin was one of the most outspoken advocates in Washington in support of a massive “stimulus” spending bill – paid for by billions of dollars in borrowed money from China – that she flatly predicted would ‘create or save’ over 70,000 jobs in Wisconsin.
At the same time, Baldwin was rallying her liberal friends in Washington to support the massive health care law which the Supreme Court confirmed last week represents a significant tax hike on Wisconsin families and small businesses.
Yet, since President Obama has taken office and the Democrats have run Washington, our country has actually lost over 400,000 jobs, and today marks the 41st straight month that the national unemployment rate has remained above 8 percent.
In fact, the June unemployment report shows the worst quarter of job creation in two years.
As CNBC reports:
“Between last week’s Supreme Court decision and today’s jobs report, it’s a sobering reminder that at a time when Tammy Baldwin and the Democrats should have been focused on jobs, they focused instead on a massive middle class tax hike and reckless government spending programs,” National Republican Senatorial Committee spokesman Jahan Wilcox said today. “Given that Congresswoman Baldwin supported an even more liberal version of the job-killing healthcare law, it just reminds voters how out of touch she is with most voters in Wisconsin.”
Baldwin-Obama Economic Record…
- Since President Obama Took Office, The Nation Has Lost 473,000 Jobs And The Unemployment Rate Has Increased From 7.8 Percent To 8.2 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 7/6/12)
- In June, The Hispanic Unemployment Rate Remained At 11.0 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 7/6/12)
- The African American Unemployment Rate Increased From 13.6 Percent To 14.4 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 7/6/12)
- The Unemployment Rate Has Remained Above Eight Percent For A Record 41 Straight Months. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 7/6/12)
- The Real Unemployment Rate, Including Those That Are Working Part-Time Due To Economic Reasons, Increased To 14.9 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 7/6/12)
Liberal Madison Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin’s Rosy Rhetoric….
In October 2010, Baldwin Touted The Success Of The Obama Administration, Including “Bringing Us Back From Near Total Economic Collapse And Leading Recovery Efforts.” “As long as Americans are struggling in this economy, it’s easy to overlook the successes of the Obama administration which include bringing us back from near total economic collapse and leading recovery efforts; reforming the health insurance industry; bolstering the middle class; making government more transparent; and regulating financial services.” (Dean Mosiman, “2nd Congressional District,” Wisconsin State Journal [Madison, WI], 10/21/10)
- Baldwin: “I Think We Are On The Right Path.” Freyberg: “Do you think the administration’s efforts lose meaningful traction now or are democrats rethinking their methods?” Baldwin: “You know, I think we are on the right path.” (Wisconsin Public Television’s “Here And Now,” 11/5/10)
Baldwin On The “Stimulus:” “The Legislation We Passed Today Will Help Create Jobs Quickly By Re-Investing In Our Crumbling Roads, Bridges, And Schools And Further Developing Renewable Energy Technologies.” (Rep. Tammy Baldwin, “Baldwin Votes For Economic Recovery Plan,” Press Release, 1/29/09)
- Baldwin Said “This Legislation Addresses Those Immediate Needs And Sets Us On A Path Toward Economic Recovery And Growth. First And Foremost, This Bill Will Create And Save The Jobs We Need Now – More Than 70,000 In Wisconsin Over The Next Two Years.” Baldwin: “The bill we’re sending to the President’s desk is not perfect, but it is essential. Today, thousands of people in Wisconsin are in desperate need of jobs, health care, home heating assistance, mortgage assistance or housing. This legislation addresses those immediate needs and sets us on a path toward economic recovery and growth. First and foremost, this bill will create and save the jobs we need now – more than 70,000 in Wisconsin over the next two years – most in the private sector.” (Tammy Baldwin Press Release, “Rep. Baldwin Issues Statement On Economic Recovery And Reinvestment Act,” 2/14/09)
Baldwin In 2010: “We’re Using Every Tool In The Toolbox To Help Create And Keep Jobs And Are Slowly Making Progress, But I Will Not Be Satisfied Until Every Wisconsinite Who Wants A Job Has One.” (Rep. Nancy Pelosi, “News About The American Recovery And Reinvestment Act,” Press Release, 8/9/10)
- Baldwin: “Getting Americans Back To Work Is My Number One Priority.” “During debate over the Fiscal Year 2012, Homeland Security Appropriations H.R. 2017, Baldwin offered an amendment requiring that the main diesel engines for Coast Guard Offshore Patrol Cutter ships be manufactured in the United States and made by American workers. To address any concerns that this could result in a single source contract, the amendment includes language that will ensure competition and the best value to the taxpayer. ‘Getting Americans back to work is my number one priority,’ Baldwin told her colleagues.” (Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin News Release, “Baldwin Tells Congress to ‘Buy American,’ Says Coast Guard Should Buy American-Made Ship Engines,” 6/2/11)