Remember when Chuck Schumer and Senate Democrats spent months touting the importance of having a full Supreme Court?
So now with President Trump announcing his pick for the Court tomorrow, Senate Democrats must be extremely excited to vote for this nominee… Right?
It was months ago that these vulnerable Democrats all agreed that we need a full Supreme Court:
- [Elizabeth Warren:](e.nrsc.org/t/j-i-uyiuijl-l-y/) “The things that the Supreme Court does are the kinds of things that help us make this whole country work. Decisions that affect the lives of people all across this country, and it takes nine justices to make sure we’ve got a majority and we’ve got a decision.”
- [Tammy Baldwin:](e.nrsc.org/t/j-i-uyiuijl-l-j/) “The American people need to have a full and functioning Court” and “Not an empty seat on the highest court in the land.”
- [Tim Kaine:](e.nrsc.org/t/j-i-uyiuijl-l-t/) “‘If these guys think they’re going to stonewall the filling of that vacancy or other vacancies, then a Democratic Senate majority will say, ‘We’re not going to let you thwart the law.’ And so we will change the Senate rules to uphold the law that the court will be nine members.’”
- [Jon Tester:](e.nrsc.org/t/j-i-uyiuijl-l-i/) “You know the Constitution, which people cite in this body a lot – and should – is very clear that the Senate has a duty to advise and consent to the President’s Supreme Court nominees.”
- [Debbie Stabenow:](e.nrsc.org/t/j-i-uyiuijl-l-d/) “One of the most important Constitutional duties as a United States Senator is to confirm Justices of the Supreme Court.”
But Chuck Schumer, who is not up for reelection, has made it clear that he will do whatever he can to block President Trump’s pick for the Supreme Court. What will the folks up in 2018 do?
“2018ers are in for a rude awakening if they follow Chuck Schumer’s lead on President Trump’s Supreme Court pick,” said NRSC Communications Director Katie Martin. “The folks up for reelection will prove they are only partisan politicians if they follow the misguided lead of Washington’s liberal elite and don’t uphold their beliefs from just a few months ago.”text in italic
After an abysmal election night in 2016, Senate Democrats are scrambling to figure out just what went wrong. Today, they are gathered in…
As national Democrats struggle to rebuild after their defeat at the polls in November, the far left has emerged as the leading wing of the…