ICYMI: BernieCare Introduced in the Senate
Today, Axios reported that Bernie Sanders is introducing a bill to force all Americans into government-run health care, which means fewer choices, longer wait times, and higher taxes. If you agree that socialized medicine is bad for our country, sign the petition to STOP the plan!
Read the story here:
Bernie Sanders’ “Medicare for All” push, which he’ll renew today at 11 a.m., has upended Democratic politics almost as thoroughly as it would upend the health care system, Axios health care editor Sam Baker writes.
- Why it matters: The coverage most of us are used to — private insurance through the workplace — would change or even disappear.
- The only question Democrats are really debating is how far to go, and how quickly.
What it would mean for you: Sanders’ plan would move almost everyone — whether you’re on Medicare or Medicaid, or buy insurance on your own through the Affordable Care Act, or get it through your job — into a single government-run program.
- You could not keep your existing plan.
- Taxes would go up. A lot. That’s the tradeoff for eliminating premiums and deductibles. Sanders has not said which taxes he would raise.
Overall spending would be about the same as what we’re expected to spend under the status quo, according to multiple estimates.
- We’d just pay for it differently. Today’s hodgepodge of premiums, copays and state and federal spending would all be rolled into one federal, taxpayer-funded program.
- We’re also an outlier among other rich countries because we don’t guarantee coverage to everyone.
I am getting worried. Across our great nation, Democrats are raising staggering sums of money, and I am concerned that we aren’t…
The Kaiser Family Foundation estimates that 5.5 million Michiganders rely on private health insurance plans. Under Medicare for All, which…